On becoming a minimalist

Recently I have been reading a bunch of bloggers (including Mark Manson and Tynan) who proclaim themselves to be minimalist in some kind of way. What does this mean ? It implies getting rid of unnecessary material possessions and burdening relationships and keeping only what you need to the strict minimum.
And so did I. Maybe not to the same extent as those authors but still I threw away and donated a lot of my stuff (which felt hard at the beginning but now it has been a relief). Therefore here I am left just with myself and a few stuff and the will to focus on the few things which really matter.
For me one thing which was still untouched on my bucket list was traveling. Therefore I had already planned for this summer a two-month bus/train/road trip on my own, meeting some new and old friends on the way. However, because of the recently made life decluttering, I can freely enjoy my travel without worrying about anything back home. Having fewer obligations allows me to see the whole spectrum of opportunities that lies in front of me (sooooo many).
That being said, I also realize two things so far (one month and half to go still wouhou =D). Firstly I really don't need many material possessions. All I own right now are boots, running shoes, tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, hat, one pair of trousers, one pair of shorts, five pairs of socks and underwear, swimsuit, goggles, swim cap, sunglasses, computer, mp3 player, kindle, two notebooks, one Swiss knife, one raincoat, one Odlo winter t-shirt, one woodie, four t-shirts, one shirt, two water bottles, one sports t-shirt and short, head pillow, earplugs, a card deck, stuff for laundry, tooth, hair and skin care, tissues, first aid kit, passport and cash. That's all. Indeed I can do everything which I used to do back home (except playing the guitar ^^' but everybody has one :P)
Furthermore being on the road with so few things made conscious about one aspect of myself. Since I already have with me all what I need, why should I complain about any external factors ? I'm satisfied and extremely grateful about what the world offered to me. I am among one of the few on earth who has everything s/he needs. I don't need to constantly seek further for external stimulation or distraction. If they come along the way, sure they will be a lot of fun but I don't consider them anymore as rewards for some compensation of a dissatisfaction I experienced in another area.
Therefore I came to the conclusion that now is the time to answer my internal search for meaning. It might be different for you but for me it's about doing the right thing and trying to have an impact. As one of my friends said the other day: "You must first let the sun shine from within yourself before you can expect the others to do so." Thus I am sharing my conclusion with you: I don't need much material things in my life. I am extremely satisfied and grateful with what I already have.
 I am not trying to convince you that my opinion is the right one. I am just saying that this is how I personally see the matter. So my job is done here. I had an impact. Not that I convinced you about the correctness of my writings, I just shared my view, you read it, you reflected on it and took whatever you thought was good or not. That's it. This is how I choose to change my own world.
Thanks for reading. Don't hesitate to comment.

KS
Daniel

Comments

Popular Posts

I wish I read this five years ago: The Defining Decade by Meg Jay

We are our memories

Veganism and the either-or fallacy